Wednesday, December 31, 2014

A gathering of real giants. I wonder what the mean of their IQ's would be?


At the Fifth Solvay International Conference, held in Brussels in October 1927, 29 physicists gathered for a group photograph. Back row: Auguste Piccard, Émile Henriot, Paul Ehrenfest, Édouard Herzen, Théophile de Donder, Erwin Schrödinger, Jules-Émile Verschaffelt, Wolfgang Pauli, Werner Heisenberg, Ralph Howard Fowler, Léon Brillouin. Middle: Peter Debye, Martin Knudsen, William Lawrence Bragg, Hendrik Anthony Kramers, Paul Dirac, Arthur Compton, Louis de Broglie, Max Born, Niels Bohr. Front: Irving Langmuir, Max Planck, Marie Sklodowska Curie, Hendrik Lorentz, Albert Einstein, Paul Langevin, Charles-Eugène Guye, Charles Thomson Rees Wilson, Owen Willans Richardson.
Seventeen of the 29 were or became Nobel Prize winners. Marie Curie, the only woman, is also the only person who has won the prize in two scientific disciplines.
The only character I don't see is Schrodinger's famous cat!

16 comments:

  1. Maybe the cat was taking the picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe the cat wasn't. We'd have to open the box and look to see!

      Delete
  2. "Seventeen of the 29 were or became Nobel Prize winners"...only to be followed by Algore and The Won. Talk about degrading the currency!

    Happy New Year, by the way. Thanks for the daily fun in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of them were wildly wrong but they remain legends none-the-less. They lived in a time in which 'settled science' was some kind of Platonic myth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have learned lot of things from it concerning blogging. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading through and I believe this website got some genuinely

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really very informative article, there is no doubt about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This site is my intake, real superb pattern and perfect articles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post. I used to be checking continuously this blog and I am inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very wonderful info can be found on website.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I reckon something truly special in this website.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am impressed with this internet site, very I am a big fan .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely indited subject matter, Really enjoyed reading through.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terrific article! That is the type of information that are meant to be shared across the net.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am continually browsing online for tips that can facilitate me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete