Tuesday, March 20, 2018

The Bakersfield Run

Kind of like the Kessel Run from Star Wars, but it takes much longer than 12 parsecs.

Went down last night, four and a half hours, stayed in a trucker's hotel, got up, and concluded my business in a satisfactory manner.  Then, gas the truck, and bring on the northbound white line fever.

Started raining half way to Fresno, and just got rainier and rainier the farther north I got.

All the dusty little farm towns, like Earlimart,


And Dinuba,


And Pixley,


Don't really match up with the popular idea of what California is like.

But, home again, listening to the rain chatter down the spout, and glad of it.





8 comments:

  1. Bakersfield, that is a place I will never understand. I have a story but there is no way I would publish it on the internet. There is some serious inbred okie crap that goes down there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of oil pumped in that country. The place I stayed reeked of crude.

      Delete
  2. I got a lift to Bakersfield after wrecking my car on I-5 in the rain in Buttonwillow. The guy who picked me up as I hitchhiked had burned his leg in acid runoff from a food processor there.
    I took every single opportunity to walk in the rain when it fell during the 30 years I lived in California. I missed it so and it rarely lasted long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You drove past me in Hanford. I'da got ya a beer or coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My loss! That would have been fun. I'll keep you in mind for the next time I gotta to the Bakersfield run.

      Delete
  4. Pixley? Isn't that down the tracks from Hooterville?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I'm in Bakersfield I try to be there for dinner so I can eat at Wool Growers.
    It's almost worth a trip just for the meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh. I lived in that area. Halfway between Hanford and Visalia. It's a whole other state from that one outside of the central valley.

    ReplyDelete